September 24th, 2010
|04:18 pm - Tapping The Editorial Mind|
So for those of you who might remember the whole Scheherazade's Facade project, let me assure you it's still in the works, simmering away while the stars align themselves for the conditions needed for release.
Now, this isn't to suggest I'm a slacker or anything, because oh no, we don't know anything about writers/editors who get distracted by shiny things and hey, squirrel!
As I was saying. I'm faced with turning thirteen stories into one manuscript. Sure, they all come in as RTF files, but apart from that, they're in a variety of fonts and type sizes, with the odd bit of formatting, and individual quirks. Does anyone out there have any advice on how to blend them all into one cohesive, sexy-looking manuscript? Is there a book, or a secret set of instructions online, or even just some handy tips and tricks? (FWIW, I do have an editor on tap, who I can ask, but he charges me in beer and has a life of his own, really he does.) Or is really, as I suspect, just a case of taking each story, adjusting the font and size and formatting individually, slapping it into one large file, and calling it magic? (If so, sorry to bother you, assume I'm talking to myself and/or gone slightly eccentric. Again.)
Until/unless I get answers, I'll be doing it the hard way. With gnomes. And power tools.
Current Mood: Squirrel!
That was my thought as well. What I want to do, of course, is make it into a REAL LIVE BOOK. But that requires a few factors over which I have no control.
I just found myself wondering what these things look like when they leave the editor and go to the publisher, before they get even more cleaned up and turned into ARCs and stuff. Hey, I'm learning as I go, that's a good thing!
That's pretty much what Sarah and I did for Trafficking in Magic/Magicking in Traffic. Although there's also the issue of getting consistent formatting on things like em dashes (we went with the double hyphen, to be fixed by the typesetter, because these often get lost in transition from MS to ), italics (we went with underlining, again to be fixed by the typesetter, for the same reason), and placement of author's name and title (I think we're going to put author's name first and title underneath--I haven't done this yet).
I recently had a small issue with a publisher in a story where one line of text changed size as the speaking got louder--and this got dropped in the formatting process, and I had to ask them to put it back in. So you may want to look for things like that.
Hope this helps.