December 22nd, 2003
|01:21 am - Simple Amusements|
As you may know, I currently am working for a certain major chain bookstore. One of the things we have to do is push said chain's discount card to every customer who'll even acknowledge our beady, desperate gazes.
As a result of this, I have composed the...
TOP TEN THINGS PEOPLE SAY TO REFUSE OUR CARD:
10. I don't come out here that much. (i.e. I don't get out of the woods more than twice a year to buy more anti-government pamphlets, ammo, and bait)
9. I don't buy very many books. (i.e. I'm really just in for porn mags and beer.)
8. I have a card with Chain X instead. (i.e. I don't mind if they charge twice as much and give me nothing in return, they have a coffeeshop and ooo shiny!)
7. No habla English. (i.e. I don't speak English, which way to the lavoratory, your grandmother has hairy melons.)
6. I don't trust your cards. (i.e. I'm a paranoid freak who believes this is all just a conspiracy to track my movements and sell my address.)
5. It costs too much. (i.e. Despite spending $120 on books, gifts, bookmarks, booklights, magazines, packs of gum, and the Illustrated Pop-Up Kama Sutra, I don't want something that'll actually save me money.)
4. We don't have your store where I live. Or the one you're affiliated with. Or the other one you're affiliated with. Or the website. Or... (i.e. I live in the middle of nowhere and made this special trip just to spite you and get a $2.99 bargain book for Granny's stocking...)
3. I used to have one but I let it lapse. (i.e. I bought a card once while on a drunken bender, and have regretted it ever since I found the stack of Nora Roberts and Danielle Steels in the bathroom)
2. My wife/girlfriend/mother/sister/brother/cousin/lawyer/dog has one, can I use it? (i.e. I'll just mooch off of whoever's closer... hey, can I use yours?)
And the Number One Reason People Refuse Our Card is...
1. I'm just not interested. (i.e. I can see the desperate, pleading, yearning look in your eyes. You are a pathetic, pitiful, soulless broken shell of a human being working for the evil empire, and I shall deny you your victory, just so I can watch you whimper in defeat and try to regroup for the next victim...)
I love this job, but some days... :)
Current Mood: predatory
|Date:||December 22nd, 2003 08:06 am (UTC)|| |
8,5,3 really DO apply to my parents. That is they shop at Borders exclusively. The *only* time they shop at B&N is when I am there, once a year. And even still they don't spend enough in that month to make it be worth the card (ie to get enough money back).
I *have* Borders in London, so of course I only want to shop at B&N when I am there :)